Gen-X, Millennial Media Opps: Bombas appoints video AOR (Score 22)
Bombas named Horizon Next its video AOR in June 2022. This includes strategic planning, buying, customer segmentation and audience analytics. The company's DMs also described the remit as TV AOR. This could lead to spend shifts, so sellers keep an eye on this company.
According to Pathmatics, Bombas earned 615.6m impressions YTD through Facebook ads (47%), desktop video ads (27%), Instagram ads (25%) and desktop display ads (1%). It placed the majority (99%) of these ads directly onto sites such as facebook.com, youtube.com, instagram.com, msn.com and yahoo.com. It placed the remainder (1%) indirectly through Google AdX+AdSense onto sties such as yahoo.com, espn.com, 247sports.com, cbs.com and sfgate.com. It spent around $5.7m on digital display ads YTD, a 73% increase from $3.3m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend plummeted from $24m in 2020 to $9.4m in 2021.
Per iSpot, Bombas spent approximately $4.9m on national TV ads YTD, a slight (4%) increase from $4.7m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend dropped by 10% from $19.8m in 2020 to $14.8m in 2021. This year, it placed ads during programming such as America Says, American Pickers, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, The ReidOut and Love It or List It.
Sellers-- Bombas appears to be targeting Gen-Xers and millennials. It reaches these demographics through digital display and national TV ads. Bombas drastically reduced spend across both channels in 2021. So far this year, it has been aggressively ramping up digital spend while only slightly increasing TV spend. This indicates digital ads provide a better ROI for the company. The company typically allocates the majority of its budget toward Q4. Bombas also invests in local broadcast TV and radio ads, per Kantar. Sellers should get in touch to offer ad space.
Agency & martech readers-- I am not sure if this appointment affects the company's relationship with media buying and planning AOR TWO NIL. Either way, this is a great time to reach out because agency hires commonly follow one another.