PepsiCo seeks new marketing chief (Score 39)
Sales Lead: PepsiCo is in search of a new top US marketer since it promoted one of its CMOs, Rachel Ferdinando, as the president of its Canadian foods business last summer.
- PepsiCo originally hired Ferdinando as the VP of media and digital for its core brands in September 2017.
- The company elevated her to SVP and CMO in October 2019.
- Though Ferdinando did retain some marketing duties, she now oversees Canadian business. This leads me to believe that PepsiCo will need someone else to oversee its US strategy.
- The company will likely:
- Seek a new marketing chief
- Return to heavier ad spend
- Seek additional influencers
- Pursue new agency partners, especially once it finds a new CMO
- Target demographic:
- Gen-Z and millennials: Digital, paid social, YouTube, podcast, and Twitch ads
- Gen-X: National TV, OOH, radio, experiential, print, and local broadcast
Additional spending insights:
- Broadcast insights (TV ad creative spend, effectiveness, impressions, and performance) Please refer to this graph for top brands' recent national TV spend.
- Digital and social insights (digital ad spend, effectiveness, impressions, and performance for all subsidiaries)
- YTD spend: So far this year, PepsiCo has spent roughly $287.9m on digital ads.
- YTD data: The company has earned around 34.8b digital impressions YTD via Instagram (37%), Facebook (32%), desktop video (19%), Twitter (8%), desktop display (3%), and mobile display (1%) ads.
- PepsiCo has placed 93% of this year's desktop video ads site direct onto YouTube and the remaining 7% site direct onto Twitch.
- Last year: In 2021, the company spent approximately $384m on this channel, up 87% from the approximately $205.4m spent in 2020.
- Additional channel insights
- The brand utilizes OOH, radio, experiential, print, podcasts, and local broadcast, and it works with influencers.
Additional agency insights:
- Opportunity: A new CMO may conduct agency reviews, so contact sooner rather than later to remain top-of-mind.
- Current agency roster:
- In-House: Media
- OMD: Media AOR
- Juniper Park\ TBWA: Creative and digital AOR
- Ten35: Creative and multicultural AOR
- TBWA \ Chiat \ Day: Creative AOR
- Goodby, Silverstein & Partners: Creative AOR
- BBDO Worldwide: Creative AOR
- R/GA: Creative AOR
- TPN: Experiential AOR
- Swift: Social AOR
- Golin: PR AOR
- Mekanism: AOR
- Laundry Service: AOR
Insight Sources: Broadcast insights estimated by iSpot; digital spend insights estimated by Pathmatics; additional channel insights estimated by Kantar.