B2B Opps: Dropbox taps new media AOR, significantly increases digital spend (Score 50)
Sales Lead: Dropbox named GALE as its global media AOR, concluding the review we reported in April 2022.
- This appointment replaces incumbent media AOR Mediahub, which won the ~$1b account in 2018 and did not defend it.
- The company will likely:
- Launch a campaign soon
- Keep increasing digital spend
- Conduct additional agency reviews
- Target demographic:
- Businesses in need of storage, file synchronization, and client software services
Additional spending insights:
- Broadcast insights (TV ad creative spend, effectiveness, impressions, and performance)
- Recent spend: Dropbox hasn't utilized national TV since 2020, when it allocated around $3k toward this channel.
- Digital and social insights (digital ad spend, effectiveness, impressions, and performance)
- YTD spend: Since the beginning of 2022, the company has spent roughly $11.2m on digital ads, 44% more than the roughly $7.8m spent in all of 2021.
- YTD data: Dropbox has earned ~1.1b digital impressions YTD via desktop video/YouTube (43%), Facebook (39%), mobile video (9%), Twitter (6%), Instagram (2%), and desktop display (1%) ads.
- Last year: In 2021, the company spent approximately $7.8m on this channel, 77% more than the approximately $4.4m spent in 2020.
Additional agency insights:
- Opportunity: Additional agency reviews could easily follow this one, so contact soon to offer PR, creative, digital analytics, and/or social media management services.
- Current agency roster:
- GALE: Media AOR
- In-House: Creative
- Argonaut: Creative AOR
- The Hatch Agency: PR agency partner
Insight Sources: Broadcast insights estimated by iSpot; digital spend insights estimated by Pathmatics.