B2B Opps: ShipStation ramps up ad spend (Score 59)
Sales lead: Get in touch to score some of these extra ad dollars.
- ShipStation has been aggressively ramping up digital display and national TV ad spend so far this year.
- This is the second year in a row it has significantly increased digital spend.
- The company decreased TV spend in 2021, but it reversed that trend so far in 2022.
In other news:
- We recently told you about ShipStation's parent company, Auctane, naming Lisa Johnston its first-ever CMO in August 2022.
ShipStation's target demographic: Online businesses that need shipping assistance
The company will likely:
- Continue increasing digital & TV spend
- Outsource some marketing duties to agency partners (CMO hire)
Broadcast insights (TV ad creative spend, effectiveness, impressions, and performance)
- YTD spend: ShipStation spent approximately $4.3m on national TV ads YTD, an 87% increase from $2.3m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021.
- Last year: Full-year spend fell by 25% from $5.9m in 2020 to $4.4m in 2021.
- 2022 ad programming: It placed ads during programming such as Forensic Files, College Basketball, Women's College Basketball, SportsCenter, and FOX & Friends First.
Digital and social insights (digital ad spend, effectiveness, impressions, and performance)
- YTD spend: ShipStation spent around $4.9m on digital display ads YTD, a huge increase from $1.7m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021.
- YTD data: 657m impressions via Facebook (78%), Instagram (15%), desktop display (5%), and desktop video (2%).
- Last year: Full-year spend jumped from $1.1m in 2020 to $2.4m in 2021.
- Ad location: It placed 98% of these ads directly onto sites such as facebook.com, instagram.com, yahoo.com, youtube.com, and finance.yahoo.com. It placed 2% of these ads indirectly through multiple channels onto sites such as yahoo.com, ebay.com, speedtest.net, earthlink.net, and fandom.com.
- Opportunity: ShipStation's parent company just hired a CMO, which may lead to agency appointments.
- ShipStation does not currently work with any agencies.
- I recommend offering PR/communication assistance at first.