OwnBackup appoints marketing chief amid spend increases (Score 59)

OwnBackup hired Courtnee LeClaire as CMO, effective May 2022. LeClaire has been an independent marketing advisor since she left her most recent position as Livongo's CMO. In her new role, LeClaire will be responsible for building brand awareness and storytelling to separate OwnBackup from its competitors. OwnBackup offers data recovery, protection and information security services for businesses. 

According to Pathmatics, OwnBackup earned 29.8m impressions YTD through desktop display ads (92%) and mobile display ads (8%). It placed the majority (98%) of these ads directly onto sites such as howtogeek.com, businessinsider.com, refdesk.com, 1001fonts.com and lifehacker.com. It placed the remainder (2%) through multiple indirect channels onto sites such as slashdot.org, macrumors.com, sourceforge.net, bgr.com and osxdaily.com. It spent approximately $466.2k on digital display ads YTD, a huge jump from $76.6k spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend skyrocketed from $500 in 2020 to $227.5k in 2021. 

Sellers-- OwnBackup targets businesses through digital display ads. This year, the company has already spent more than double the amount it spent during all of 2021. I only expect spend to continue rising under LeClaire's leadership. Keep in mind that the new CMO will likely shake things up and may experiment with new channels. Reach out for more information so you can offer relevant ad space. 

Agency & martech readers-- Our researchers are busy searching for any relationships this company may have. As you know, CMO hires are the number one sign that a company may be looking for outside help. Start contacting LeClaire soon to be top-of-mind. I recommend focusing your pitches on helping this company improve brand awareness.