Gen-Z, Millennial Media Opps: Nationwide features H.E.R. in new creative work
Nationwide released a 30-second spot featuring its newest celebrity influencer, H.E.R. The spot will air on cable networks such as TBS, A&E and TNT. It will also be released onto Roku, Amazon and Hulu. Additionally, the spot will be supported through social, digital and audio placements. Nationwide worked with creative AOR Ogilvy on this campaign. The company is currently adjusting its marketing strategy to reach Gen-Zers and millennials more effectively. It will reportedly even start experimenting with TikTok and other short-form video channels.
According to iSpot, Nationwide spent about $9.2m on national TV ads YTD, a 21% increase from $7.6m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend increased by 33% from $25.9m in 2020 to $34.4m in 2021. This year, it placed ads during programming such as SportsCenter, College Basketball, Friends, Two and a Half Men and NBA Basketball.
Per Pathmatics, Nationwide earned 249m impressions YTD through Facebook ads (55%), desktop video ads (34%), Instagram ads (6%), desktop display ads (2%) and mobile display ads (2%). It placed the majority (99%) of these ads directly onto sites such as facebook.com, youtube.com, instagram.com, bossip.com and finance.yahoo.com. It placed the remainder (1%) indirectly through Google AdX+AdSense onto sites such as nextdoor.com, yahoo.com, benefitspro.com, wealthygorilla.com and blackenterprise.com. It spent approximately $2.5m on digital display ads YTD, an 11% decrease from $2.8m in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend fell by 22% from $12m in 2020 to $9.3m in 2021.
Sellers-- Nationwide traditionally targets Gen-Xers, but is turning its focus towards Gen-Zers and millennials. It reaches these demographics through digital display and national TV ads. Since the beginning of 2021, the company has been reducing digital spend while increasing national TV spend. It also utilizes OOH, print, radio and local broadcast TV ads, per Kantar. Those of you that can help it reach younger consumers will likely have more success. Sellers should reach out soon to offer last-minute campaign ad space.
Agency & martech readers-- Nationwide currently works with creative AOR Ogilvy, media buying & planning AOR Universal McCann and multicultural shop Matlock Advertising & Public Relations. You can try offering project-based services for the best chance of picking up some of this company's business.