Female Gen-X, Millennial Media Opps: Dunkin's CMO departs after eight months (Score 57)

Dunkin’ announced that its CMO Rafael Acevedo has stepped down, effective immediately. I am not sure about Acevedo's future plans, but he is reportedly pursuing new opportunities. Acevedo joined Dunkin' in June 2021, and led two agency reviews during his short tenure. Dunkin' has not announced a successor, but we will be sure to update you once any news surfaces because it will affect the chain's marketing strategy and could lead to agency reviews. We last wrote to inform you of Dunkin's new creative AOR Anomaly. 

According to iSpot, Dunkin' spent around $17.5m on national TV ad YTD, a 5% increase from $16.7m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend increased by 8% from $58.2m in 2020 to $62.8m in 2021. This year, it placed ads during programming such as "Today 3rd Hour," "Today With Hoda & Jenna," "Friends," "Today" and "Everybody Loves Raymond. 

Magellan reports Dunkin' placed about 240 podcast ads over the last 365 days. 

Per Pathmatics, Dunkin' earned 1.6b impressions YTD through Facebook ads (66%), Instagram ads (29%), desktop display ads (2%), desktop video ads (2%), mobile display ads (1%) and Twitter ads (1%). It placed the majority (99%) of these ads site direct onto sites such as facebook.com, instagram.com, youtube.com, twitter.com and espn.com. It placed the remainder (1%) indirectly through Google AdX+AdSense onto sites such as twitch.tv, nhl.com, refinery29.com, kohls.com and about.com. It spent approximately $13.4m on digital display ads YTD, a 48% decrease from $25.7m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. Full-year spend jumped 62% from $59.4m in 2020 to $96.4m in 2021. 

Sellers-- Dunkin' appears to be targeting Gen-X and millennials with a female skew. It reaches these demographics through digital display and national TV ads. Dunkin' has been increasing national TV spend so far this year, while decreasing digital spend. Furthermore, it placed TV ads during programming that is popular among Gen-X and millennial women. The chain increased spend across both channels in 2021. It also invests in OOH, print, radio and local broadcast TV ads, per Kantar. The next CMO will impact the company's marketing strategy, but in the meantime, I advise sellers to keep reaching out to offer relevant ad space. 

Agency & martech readers-- Dunkin' currently works with creative AOR Anomaly, with media buying/planning split between Publicis, Zenith and Digitas. Both remits were awarded in 2021, which makes them secure, but Acevedo's replacement may decide to review Dunkin's roster. Start readying your pitches so that you are prepared to reach out once this company finds a new CMO. You might be able to score digital or social media work as well.