Digital B2B Opps: OpenText hires CMO and SVP amid spend increases (Score 50)

OpenText (OT) hired Sandy Ono as EVP & CMO, effective January 2022. Ono spent the last seven years at Hewlett Packard Enterprise, where she most recently served as growth marketing VP. This hire will affect the company's marketing strategy and could lead to agency appointments. Keep an eye on this company because it looks like a good opportunity. 

According to Pathmatics, OpenText earned 27.3m impressions in 2021 through desktop display ads (65%), mobile display ads (34%) and Twitter ads (1%). It placed the majority (68%) of these ads through a variety of indirect channels onto sites such as fastcompany.com, yahoo.com, hometalk.com, finance.yahoo.com and refinery29.com. It placed the remainder (32%) site direct onto sites such as wired.com, zdnet.com, networkworld.com, yahoo.com and cnn.com. It spent approximately $110.7k on digital display ads in 2021, a huge jump from $19.9k spent in this channel during 2020. YTD spend totaled $39.2k, compared to just $3.1k spent in this channel during the same time period of 2021. 

Sellers-- OpenText's information management services appeal to businesses, which it targets through digital display ads. It increased spend in this channel last year, and it has continued adding dollars to it so far this year. The new CMO will likely continue ramping spend up. Keep in mind, Ono may implement some new strategies and experiment with other marketing channels. Start contacting her to see what types of ad space you may be able to offer. 

Agency & martech readers-- Start contacting Ono soon to be top-of-mind in case she decides to outsource any of her new duties. I do not think you will face competition from any incumbent shops.