British Airways taps W Communications to handle US PR (Score 34)

British Airways (BA) named W Communications its new US PR agency. The company paused the majority of its marketing efforts in the US due to the pandemic. W has been tasked with re-starting marketing in the US, as the company starts returns to normal operations. BA has an existing relationship with W in the UK. 

According to Pathmatics, BA earned 2.4m impressions YTD through desktop video ads (60%), desktop display ads (26%), mobile display ads (8%) and Facebook ads (5%). It placed the majority (90%) of these ads site direct onto sites such as youtube.com, vanguardgr.com, facebook.com and twitter.com. It placed the remainder (10%) indirectly through Google AdX+AdSense and Yahoo DSP onto sites such as vanguardgr.com, punchng.com, bellanaja.com, msn.com and dailydot.com. It spent around $21.9k on digital display ads YTD. The company spent around $362.9k in Q1 of 2020, before it paused spend once the pandemic started. Full-year spend equaled $1.6m in 2019.

Per iSpot, BA has not allocated any budget towards national TV ads since spending $21.9k in early 2020 during "Wheel of Fortune." It spent approximately $54.8k in this channel in 2019. 

Sellers-- BA likely targets a wide range of travelers. The company is gearing up to re-start advertising in the US, so I expect a big push as soon as W has time to put a campaign together. Before the pandemic, it allocated the majority of its marketing resources towards digital display ad. It also invested in national TV ads, but at a lower rate. Sellers should reach out to see what types of ad space you may be able to offer. 

Agency & martech readers-- BA also works with Ogilvy on creative and digital, with Wavemaker taking care of global media buying and planning. As you know, agency reviews commonly follow one another. Start reaching out soon to be top-of-mind. Those of you with travel or airline experience may have an advantage.