High School Seniors, Parents Opps: Arizona State University promotes top marketer (Score 52)

Arizona State University (ASU) promoted Jill Andrews to interim VP and CMO, effective July 2021. Andrews has been with ASU since the late 90's, most recently serving as managing director of enterprise marketing and chief creative officer. She know leads the marketing team, strategy and brand development. We will be sure to update you once ASU finds a permanent CMO. 

According to Pathmatics, ASU earned 382.6m impressions YTD through Facebook ads (36%), desktop video ads (35%), Instagram ads (15%) and desktop display ads (13%). It placed the majority (89%) of these ads site direct onto sites such as facebook.com, hulu.com, instagram.com, youtube.com and yahoo.com. It placed the remainder (11%) through a variety of indirect channels onto sites such as zillow.com, reddit.com, ebay.com, finance.yahoo.com and foxnews.com. It spent around $3m on digital display ads YTD, a 19% decrease from $3.7m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2020. Full-year spend increased 27% from $4m in 2019 to $5.1m in 2020. 

Per iSpot, ASU spent around $39.4k on national TV ads YTD, just 26% of the $152.3k spent in this channel during the same time period of 2020. Full-year spend equaled $230.5k in 2020, a 47% decrease from $434.8k in 2019. This year, it placed ads during programming such as "College Basketball," "Women's College Basketball," "College Football" and "Basketball Postgame Report." 

Sellers-- ASU mainly targets high school upperclassmen (Gen-Z) and their Gen-X parents. The university allocates the majority of its ad dollars towards national TV and digital display ads. Spend has been down in both channels, but I assume that is related to Covid-19. ASU will likely start ramping spend back up soon. It also invests in OOH, print, radio and local broadcast TV ads, per Kantar. Sellers should contact ASU offering relevant ad space. 

Agency & martech readers-- ASU has been working with full-service AOR Lavidge since 2016, which is past the three-year average agency tenure. I advise readers to reach out to ASU to pitch your services once it finds a new CMO. Those with experience in education may have an advantage.