Dadvertising Opps: Weber Grills selects creative AOR (Score 66)
Weber Grills named Mekanism US creative AOR in July 2021. The agency will primarily be responsible for building brand awareness. In other news, parent company Weber-Stephen Products, hired global CMO Mary Sagripanti earlier this year. She comes from Amazon, where she was the global marketing, growth and consumer engagement head of Fire TV. It also hired global creative VP Daniele Monti, also from Amazon, where he served as director and executive creative director.
Per Pathmatics, Weber earned 1.2b impressions YTD through Facebook ads (64%), desktop video ads (22%), Instagram ads (9%) and desktop display ads (4%). It placed the majority (98%) of these ads site direct onto sites such as facebook.com, youtube.com, instagram.com, amazon.com and delish.com. It placed the remainder (2%) indirectly through Amazon and Google AdX+AdSense onto sites such as yahoo.com, theverge.com, vox.com, msn.com and sbnation.com. It spent around $9.1m on digital display ads YTD, about three times the $3.1m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2020. Full-year spend skyrocketed from $530.2k in 2019 to $4.6m in 2020.
According to iSpot, Weber has not allocated any budget towards national TV ads so far this year. It spent around $1.2m last summer in July during programming such as "Tucker Carlson Tonight," "Friends," "The 11th Hour With Brian Williams," "Two and a Half Men" and "Fox & Friends First." It did not invest in this channel in 2019 either.
Sellers-- Weber primarily targets Gen-X and millennial men (dads) through digital display ads. The brand has been aggressively increasing digital spend, while only utilizing national TV sparingly. I am unsure of Weber's national TV plans moving forward, but I would not be surprised if it ran a TV campaign before the end of summer of during the football season this fall. Sellers should contact this brand to offer ad space.
Agency & martech readers-- To the best of my knowledge, Weber is not working with any other shops at this time, and as you know, agency appointments are known to follow one another. Start reaching out soon to see if you can pick up any of Weber's business. I recommend offering media buying/planning or digital assistance.