Gen-X, Millennial Opps: Applebee's, IHOP parent hikes ad spend

Dine Brands (DB) is ramping up ad spend to welcome guests back to Applebee's and IHOP, as Covid-19 restrictions are lifted, per its recent Q1 earnings report. The company hopes to get back to pre-pandemic spending levels this year. It is focusing on national TV, digital and social media ads. DB is also trying to improve its one-to-one marketing capabilities. We told you about DB's new CEO earlier this year

Please view our digital display and national TV spend chart here. All data is courtesy of Pathmatics and iSpot. 

This year, Applebee's placed national TV ads during programming such as "NFL Football," "2021 NFL Draft," "Two and a Half Men," "The Golden Girls" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit." It earned 254m impressions through Instagram ads (39%), Facebook ads (38%), desktop video ads (21%), mobile display ads (1%) and desktop display ads (1%). It placed 99% of these ads site direct onto sites such as instagram.com, facebook.com, youtube.com, yahoo.com and wowhead.com. It placed the remainder (1%) indirectly through Google AdX+AdSense and The Trade Desk onto sites such as yahoo.com, zillow.com, ebay.com, espn.com and forbes.com. 

IHOP placed national TV ads ads during programming such as "The Golden Girls," "La Roa de Guadalupe," "NBA Basketball," "Exaltlon Estados Unidos" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit." It earned 456.6m impressions through Facebook ads (46%), desktop video ads (33%), Instagram ads (15%), Twitter ads (4%), mobile video ads (2%) and desktop display ads (1%). It placed 99% of these ads site direct onto sites such as facebook.com, youtube.com, instagram.com, hulu.com and rotoworld.com. It placed the remainder (1%) indirectly through Display & Video 360 and Google AdX+AdSense onto sites such as weather.com, kohls.com, thehill.com, retailmenot.com and foxnews.com.

Sellers-- Applebee's and IHOP have a similar Gen-X and millennial target audience. Both brands invest heavily in national TV and digital ads, and have increased YTD spend in both channels. Applebee's also targets Hispanic consumers. DB also invests in OOH, print, radio and local broadcast TV ads, per Kantar. Sellers should contact this company offering relevant ad space. 

Agency & martech readers-- IHOP works with creative AOR Droga5 and media buying and planning shop Initiative. Applebee's works with creative AOR Grey Group. I believe DB also uses BCW for PR. IHOP hired a new CMO earlier this year, so you may be able to pick up some of its business.