Digital Media Opps: Hallmark Cards taps first VP for Mahogany brand (Score 53)

Hallmark Cards named Alexis Kerr the first VP of the Mahogany brand, effective February 2021. Kerr has lead marketing for several notable companies, most recently serving as Cadillac's multicultural marketing head. Considering Kerr's extensive marketing experience, I assume she will be involved in the brand's marketing strategy. In her new role, Kerr will be tasked with broadening Mahogany's offerings beyond just greeting cards, finding new customers and strengthening its relationship with existing customers. Hallmark also promoted national marketing director Kristy Lewis to marketing VP last year. 

According to Pathmatics, Hallmark earned 718.7m impressions YTD through Facebook ads (58%), Instagram ads (21%), desktop video ads (17%) and desktop display ads (5%). It placed the majority (91%) of these ads site direct onto sites such as facebook.com, instagram.com, youtube.com, amazon.com and imbd.com. It placed the remainder (9%) through a variety of indirect channels onto sites such as yahoo.com, amazon.com, news.yahoo.com, aol.com and finance.yahoo.com. It spent around $5m on digital display ads YTD, a significant increase from $1.9m spent in this channel during the same time period of 2020. Full-year spend equaled $12.3m in 2020, a 27% increase from $9m in 2019. 

Magellan reports Hallmark placed about 150 podcast ads over the last year. 

Per iSpot, Hallmark spent around $6k on national TV ads YTD all during "The Real." It did not allocate any budget towards this channel in 2020 after spending $5m in 2019. 

**The above spend information refers to Hallmark's entire portfolio.**

Sellers-- Hallmark has not invested in any ads specifically for Mahogany, but the new VP may decide to ramp spend up soon. Mahogany most likely targets a similar age group as Hallmark, but it focuses on greetings cards specifically for African Americans. Hallmark has been decreasing national TV spend, while increasing digital spend, indicating it is likely targeting a younger audience. The company also invests in OOH, print, radio and local broadcast TV ads, per Kantar. Sellers should reach out offering primarily digital ad space. 

Agency & martech readers-- To the best of my knowledge, Hallmark works with media buying and planning AOR Hearts & Science and creative agency mcgarrybowen. You should try reaching out to Kerr to see if you can pick up any of Mahogany's business.