Momvertising Digital Opps: Wakefern taps digital AOR amid spend increases (Score 25)

Wakefern announced Huge as digital AOR in April 2021. The agency will be tasked with revamping Wakefern's website, mobile platform, social media and in-store digital signage. The first work is expected to debut in Q4. Wakefern operates a network of supermarkets including ShopRite, Price Rite Marketplace, The Fresh Grocer, Dearborn Market, Gourmet Garage and Fairway Market. It also hired media planning manager Marianne Gaudelli in March 2021 from The Sawtooth Group, where she served as media director. 

According to Pathmatics, Wakefern earned 176.4m impressions YTD through desktop display ads (40%), Instagram ads (21%), desktop video ads (16%), Facebook ads (14%), mobile display ads (6%), and Twitter ads (3%). It placed the majority (72%) of these ads site direct onto sites such as instagram.com, facebook.com, youtube.com, northjersey.com and nj.com. It placed the remainder (28%) through a variety of indirect channels onto sites such as yahoo.com, zillow.com, finance.yahoo.com, realtor.com and britannica.com. It spent around $994k on digital display ads YTD, a 93% jump from $516.5k spent in this channel during the same time period of 2020. Full-year spend equaled $3.2m in 2020, a 28% increase from $2.5m in 2019. 

Sellers-- Wakefern seems to target a broad range of moms through digital display ads. It started increasing digital spend in 2020, and really started ramping spend up in 2021. I believe this will continue, especially considering the company just appointed a digital AOR. It also invests in OOH, print, radio and local broadcast TV ads, per Kantar. Sellers should reach out offering relevant ad space. 

Agency & martech readers-- Agency reviews are known to follow one another, so start reaching out to Wakefern. I believe it has an in-house media team. I recommend offering creative assistance for the best chance of picking up some of Wakefern's business.